Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week in Sevilla

Hola! This was our first FULL week/weekend in Sevilla since we've been here. Seems crazy, but the past two weekends I was traveling and the first weekend we were here it was more of settling in etc. My classes this week went well, I'm really enjoying all of them. For my Flamenco class, we got our first paper assignment; to compare and analyze two different types of Flamenco. We can hand in the paper whenever we like as long as its before the end of the semester, so I'm going to get started this week. We have to go to different flamenco bars and watch the different types of flamenco...rough life I know.

This weekend was great especially because my bestie Marie came to visit me! She is studying in Barcelona and came to Sevilla with some of her friends for the weekend! It was a great weekend and SO nice to have her here. I feel so lucky to have been able to see Camilla, Marie and my Dad all within these past two weeks :). I took Marie to Alcazar (the Moorish palace) and to the back streets in bario Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is a very traditional Sevillian district with tapas bars, winding streets, flamenco bars, small plazas..very magical. We had delicious paella, sangria and dulces at a wonderful restaurant. (My first meal I've splurged on since I've been here!) On Friday night we went to see flamenco at La Carboneria, a very well kept secret in Sevilla. They are famous for their traditional, non-touristy flamenco shows and for Agua de Sevilla. Agua de Sevilla is a traditional drink here that is four different liqours, champagne, pineapple juice and whipped cream..definitely lethal but delicious!

Marie met all my friends and they all loved her! Showed her nightlife in Sevilla and took her to a bunch of bars and discotecas. We had tinto de verano on the river last night which was great. I also took her to plaza de espana, a very big plaza that was built to commemorate Spain. They have a little waterway that runs circular around the fountain and you can rent mini paddle boats for 40 minutes to go around the plaza so I took Marie to do that with my friends and I. Today, my host brother invited Marie over for lunch. Amanda, Marie, Felipe (host brother), two of his friends and I had a delicious lunch that Felipe prepared..Lasagna and Cruzcampo (Spanish budlight)!

Tomorrow starts another week of class, more updates coming soon :)

1 comment: