Monday, November 14, 2011

Recent Travels

The past few weeks have been filled with traveling—which is why I haven't posted in a while! Two weeks ago my friend and I spent a weekend in Alicante. Alicante is a small city south of Valencia right on the Mediterranean coast. The city is known for their seafood (especially their paella), which we enjoyed immensely. While we were there the Volvo Around the World sailing race had just begun. Professional sailors begin their year long journey sailing around the world in Alicante. Their stops include, Miami, Brazil, New Zealand, an island in the Pacific, Abu Dhabi, South Africa, and then Lisboa. The pier and area near the water was filled with sponsors, vendors, and special exhibitions for the race. I really liked Alicante and it was so nice to be by the water again! I miss the ocean! Although I have traveled internationally since I've been here, I also made it a priority to see different parts of Spain. I'm really happy I got to see Alicante, a landmark on the Eastern coast, and explore a different part of Spain.

This past weekend I went to Barcelona and met up with two of my best friends from Rhodes! The whole time we couldn't believe we were all together in Barcelona. The next time we'll see each other will be in Memphis, which was so strange to wrap our heads around! I was only there for two days before I went to Brussels for the weekend. However, during those two days we went to Gaudi Park, the Cathedral and saw one of Gaudi's most famous works, Casa Batllo. We also visited a local fruit market where they make juices of all sorts fresh every morning. The market is only open on Thursdays, so we were lucky we got to visit! The market is also known for their wide range of meats and skilled butchers that sell meat from chicken to brains (yuck!). Since one of my friends is studying there, it was great to have someone who knows the city showing us around since there are many local spots, that as a tourist you have a harder time finding. Barcelona was an amazing city, I'm really glad I got to visit while I'm here!

The rest of the weekend spent in Belgium was amazing as well. My friends and I visited the Atom, Mini-Europe and the Chocolate Museum. I ate the best waffles with chocolate, strawberries and whip cream! Of course we ate the famous french fries (multiple times) with all different dipping sauces. All in all it was a great weekend, and I'm so glad I got to see some familiar faces.

This Friday, API is taking us to Córdoba where we will tour the Grand Mosque that still stands from the days of Islamic rule. I'm really excited to see this incredible building that represented and continues to represent so much of Spanish history.

No comments:

Post a Comment